Saturday, May 12, 2012

Marriage in my Culture I


Marriage is a funny thing in my culture, obvioulsy this is from a women's perspective. I am not in any way undermining the importance of marriage in life, but i just I don't understand why Sudanese people place sooo much importance on marriage, if it doesn't happen it just doesn't..don't waste your life waiting, to the extent that you stop enriching yourself and your life. And don't expect too much to the point that it's unrealistic, know that your significant other is NOT going to be perfect and that's alright. 

Some women also think that until they get married they can't accomplish certain things, well, I know soo many unmarried ladies, doing amazing things & getting paid hugely. I actually tend to believe getting married may tie you down, because usually a man does not want his wife to be more successful than he is, especially in my culture, thats why there is a negative relationship between successful marriages and powerful women. I wonder why. Could that be why some women don't want to accomplish great things, do they feel that if they are too successful it will scare men off? If that's the case, then it's just sad.

I personally want someone who will not be afraid of my success, of my drive, and instead will want me to achieve the things i desire to, in making a difference in my country, to be financially successful or whatever it may be. Someone who will support me, as i would him.

Marriage is also greatly tied to age, as soon as you pass say 23 years your 'options' drop drastically. Younger men want young ladies and so do older men. So, where does that leave those past that age? I know so many 18 and 19 year olds getting married some without perusing higher education and some while studying. I can barely focus on university as it is, let alone having to head home and take care of a man. No, thanks.

To end it off, I want to be independent before i ever get married so i can tell myself, i did it because i wanted to, not because i had to.

No comments:

Post a Comment